Home / FAQ / Co Parenting and Family Law / Can we agree to new parenting arrangements?

Can we agree to new parenting arrangements?


COVID-19 might bring some temporary disruptions to your normal co-parenting arrangements. It's important to talk with your co-parent about steps you can take to overcome challenges and reach a sensible alternative solution.

For example, if changeover usually occurs at a playcentre that is closed, try to agree on a different changeover location, if appropriate. This means that children will be able to continue to spend time with both parents.

If you make new agreements, they should be written down – you can use email or text message. This will help everyone, including the Court, to understand what agreements were reached – even if they're for a short period of time. The Family Court provides more useful information about your options here.

If you're finding it difficult to reach an agreement with your co-parent, you may wish to try mediation. Further information, advice or a referral to telephone-based Family Dispute Resolution services can be found on Family Relationships Online or by calling the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321.

If you or your children are feeling unsafe or experiencing domestic or family violence, you can access information, counselling and support through 1800RESPECT website or call 1800 737 732. 1800RESPECT are open 24 hours a day during COVID-19.

If you believe you are in immediate danger please contact the Police in your State on 000.

Are you in a crisis?

  • If you are in immediate danger 

    call 000

  • 1800RESPECT - 24/7 domestic and family violence service:
    1800 737 732
  • Lifeline - 24/7 crisis support:
    13 11 14
  • MensLine - 24/7 telephone and online counselling for men:
    1300 78 99 78