Home / FAQ / Co Parenting and Family Law / I have a matter in the Family Court. How will this be affected?

I have a matter in the Family Court. How will this be affected?


Courts are remaining open, but all front counter services have been suspended.

Most matters will be dealt with by phone and video-conferencing (where possible). Only limited Court matters are being dealt with by face-to-face hearings and interviews. The Family Court has some helpful Questions and Answers about current changes. You can find them here.

The Federal Circuit Court and the Family Court of Australia Registry services can be accessed remotely and can help you with telephone appointments, electronic filing, and the listing of urgent cases. You can contact the Court using live chat or phone 1300 352 000.

If you need to file documents with the Court, you can do this electronically through the Commonwealth Courts Portal (CCP). Instructions on how to do this are available on the How do I eFile? page.

The Family Court of Western Australia operates separately to the Family Court of Australia. An updated Public Notice about changes due to COVID-19 can be found here. Further information on changes to the operation of the Family Court of Western Australia during the pandemic can be found on their website at www.familycourt.wa.gov.au or by contacting the court on (08) 9224 8222 or 1800 199 228 or by email at [email protected].

During this time, you may need to work with your co-parent to find suitable solutions, while keeping your child's needs as your first priority.

If you're finding it difficult to reach an agreement with your co-parent, you might like to try mediation. If you need further information, advice or a referral to telephone-based Family Dispute Resolution services, call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321 or visit their website.

If you're feeling unsafe or experiencing domestic or family violence, you can access information, counselling and support through 1800RESPECT website or call 1800 737 732. 1800RESPECT are open 24 hours a day during COVID-19.

If you believe you are in immediate danger please contact the Police in your State on 000.

Are you in a crisis?

  • If you are in immediate danger 

    call 000

  • 1800RESPECT - 24/7 domestic and family violence service:
    1800 737 732
  • Lifeline - 24/7 crisis support:
    13 11 14
  • MensLine - 24/7 telephone and online counselling for men:
    1300 78 99 78