Home / FAQ / Co Parenting and Family Law / I pay Child Support. Because of COVID-19, I've lost my job and can't pay. What do I do?

I pay Child Support. Because of COVID-19, I've lost my job and can't pay. What do I do?


Agencies and Departments understand times are tough right now. If you've suddenly lost your job or are facing an uncertain financial future because of COVID-19, get in touch with Services Australia as early as possible. Services Australia manages Child Support and can help you with your situation.

Wherever possible, you should also contact your co-parent so they are aware of your situation, and try to come up with a plan for support together. This might involve both of you contacting Services Australia or Centrelink.

Remember that COVID-19 is a temporary disruption to your normal arrangements, and it's important to work together with your co-parent to adjust your plans and put your child's needs first.

It's important to ensure your own self-care and that of your family during these uncertain times. For more useful suggestions, check out this Top Ten Guide for Separated Parents during COVID-19.

If you or your children are feeling unsafe or experiencing domestic or family violence, you can access information, counselling and support through 1800RESPECT website or call 1800 737 732. 1800RESPECT are open 24 hours a day during COVID-19.

If you believe you are in immediate danger please contact the Police in your State on 000.

Are you in a crisis?

  • If you are in immediate danger 

    call 000

  • 1800RESPECT - 24/7 domestic and family violence service:
    1800 737 732
  • Lifeline - 24/7 crisis support:
    13 11 14
  • MensLine - 24/7 telephone and online counselling for men:
    1300 78 99 78