Home / FAQ / Co Parenting and Family Law / What if social isolation rules change when the other parent has the children?

What if social isolation rules change when the other parent has the children?


Parents and carers are still expected to comply with court orders in relation to parenting arrangements, consistent with their responsibilities to act in their children’s best interest.

If social isolation rules make it difficult to comply with court orders, as a first step, and only if it is safe to do so, you should speak with the other parent to see if you can agree to vary your parenting arrangements. Give plenty of notice so you can both work together to find a solution that suits everyone. The Family Law Section has Ten Tips for Managing Parenting During COVID-19 

The Family Relationships Advice Line can provide information, advice and telephone-based Family Dispute Resolution services to assist parents and carers to discuss any issues that arise and help them come to an agreement. The Family Relationships Advice Line can be contacted on 1800 050 321 or visit the website.

The Family Court of Australia has some helpful information provided by the Chief Justice, the Hon Will Alstergren, for parents who may have concerns relating to parenting arrangements during COVID-19. You can find this information on Family Court of Australia’s website

The Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia have each established a court list dedicated to dealing exclusively with urgent family law disputes that have arisen as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Urgent matters may include where supervised contact of parenting is no longer available, border restrictions are in place limiting travel, there are medical issues impeding the ability to fulfil parenting obligations, or there has been an increased risk of family violence. For more information including for eligibility requirements, please visit the websites of the Family Court of Australia or the Federal Circuit Court.

If you or your children are feeling unsafe or experiencing domestic or family violence, you can access information, counselling and support through 1800RESPECT website or call 1800 737 732. 1800RESPECT are open 24 hours a day during COVID-19.

If you believe you are in immediate danger, please contact the Police in your State on 000.

Are you in a crisis?

  • If you are in immediate danger 

    call 000

  • 1800RESPECT - 24/7 domestic and family violence service:
    1800 737 732
  • Lifeline - 24/7 crisis support:
    13 11 14
  • MensLine - 24/7 telephone and online counselling for men:
    1300 78 99 78